What Is Cinnamon?
One of the loved, must-have, essential Indian spices present in every Indian household. None other than Cinnamon.
A lot of us might not know, but cinnamon was also used to be traded as a currency. The spice owns a beautiful fragrance and flavor, hence making it the most famous. It is used in sweets, curries, and cooking. Cinnamon benefits for hair, skin, and body are countless.
Cinnamon – Origination
The spice has been derived from the inside bark of a little evergreen tree, the bark of the tree is peeled off in the sun and dried. At the same place, it is curled into a roll-like shape, therefore, calling it cinnamon sticks. It is available in a form of powder as well.
One teaspoon of cinnamon is equal to three grams of it. It has many nutritional benefits:
- 0.1 grams of proteins
- 0.9 grams of carbohydrates
- 7 kcalories
- 1.6 fiber
What Are The Health Benefits Of Cinnamon?
1. Anti Viral-Fungal-Bacterial Properties
Cinnamon is regarded as one of the most soothing and medicinal elements. It holds soothing properties and is used as a herbal medicine in China, too. Its beauty is visible in its smell and flavor itself, The fragrance is fascinating. It originates from the essential oils of the bark of cinnamon known as cinnamaldehyde. This element has anti-viral, anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial properties.
2. Secure Gut Health
A lot of Indian spices have the potential for probiotic properties with benefits, and Cinnamon is one of them. The bacteria is beneficial in restoring the balance of gut bacteria, palliating digestive issues, and promoting good digestive health.
3. Promotes Balanced Blood Pressure
According to some research, it is noticed that cinnamon helps lower blood pressure for a shorter period.
4. Management Of Type 2 Diabetes
Cinnamon is known for the management of blood sugar. It does the same with the help of different mechanisms like balancing the amount of glucose that enters the bloodstream and taking note of the blood sugar management hormone, that is insulin.
5. No More Brain Aging
Different conditions like Alzheimer’s are prone to happen with age. These are known for the progressive degradation of brain cells. Alzheimer’s is a disease that accumulates protein fragments in the brain which leads to a slowing down of an individual’s thinking and one hardly remembers anything. How does it helps?
Cinnamon has two compounds that have an inhibition of the build-up of these proteins.
Cinnamon & Its Safety
Most people consider it completely safe for daily consumption. It is a culinary spice used in small amounts, that is just one teaspoon per day. The spice is regarded as safer for adults and lesser for children. Rarely do some people experience allergies or infections.
A Noteworthy Reminder: Cinnamon bought from the markets is a category called Cassia cinnamon which has great taste and is reasonable in price. It is home to compounds that are higher in degree called coumarins. It is better to use the same in an optimum quantity as increased doses might lead to toxicity.
Another category is called Ceylon which is also known as “True Cinnamon” and has comparatively lesser amounts of couramins and is tolerable.
In case, cinnamon is consumed in higher amounts then the same may integrate with the prescribed medication for health conditions like heart, liver disease, and diabetes.
Cinnamon & Fame!
Cinnamon is popular for its sweet, woody, and spicy flavor. It has an aroma that is beautiful as its taste. A little less known fact about it says, that it is used for hair growth as well. According to science, the element is beneficial for the reduction of hair loss and the prevention of balding. Its addition to the hair care regime is great for hair growth stimulation and improvement of hair look and texture. Even the usage of cinnamon shampoo can help in the best way possible.
Flip The Cinnamon Way – Benefits For Hair
The magical ingredient is being used since ancient times for different purposes. It is a miraculous remedy for inflammation and sinus infections. As per the research, the nutrient composition inside cinnamon is best for healthy hair.
- No More Balding and Hair Loss: As per the research, cinnamon manages hair loss by reduction of balding.
- Acts As An Anti-oxidant: Polyphenols present in the cinnamon act as a natural antioxidant. The presence of anti-microbial properties prevents any scalp infection.
- Hair Essentials: If applied topically cinnamon is perfect for the improvement of hair growth, density, and length. According to the studies, the essential oil present in it is home to cinnamaldehyde which acts as a dilator. It dilates the blood vessels and promotes blood flow toward the scalp, ultimately, resulting in the stimulation of hair growth.
- Hair & Its Phases: This may be new for a lot. However, hair has its own set of phases. Cinnamon contains procyanidins which have anti-oxidants, anti-inflammatory, and anti-fungal properties. A booster for hair benefits. This protects the scalp and hair from any kind of irritation, inflammation, dandruff, and free radical harm.
It levels up the Anagen phase of hair care. The reason being procyanidins inspire the anagen phase of hair. It has also showcased a good amount of hair growth in males with alopecia.
- Worry Now, Lices: Studies suggest that cinnamon oil in a mixture with shampoo can lower the head lice.
- Involves Nutrition: Cinnamon is rich in nutrients. It includes minerals and vitamin C for the improvement of hair health. There is the inclusion of other substances like niacin, vitamin A, protein, thiamine, and riboflavin which ensures healthy growth of hair.
- Free From Fungal Infections: In studies, it is known to be an anti-fungal against infections like Malassezia furfur which leads to chronic dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis.
- Cancer and Alopecia: According to evident studies, if the bark extracts of cinnamon are consumed orally in a form of a capsule, say 400 mg helps breast cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy with any alopecic condition.
Bursting Cinnamon Myths
Let us together burst some myths about Cinnamon and its relation in terms of health.
- Miracle Remedy
Cinnamon is a miracle remedy for hair loss as it stimulates hair growth and lowers hair loss. It takes time, being a natural process. It needs to be undertaken for a specified period for good results.
- Cinnamon Treats Acne Scalp
The miraculous element is present in soaps and other products for the treatment and reduction of acne. It slowly reduces scalp acne and guess why it acts miraculously as benefits for hair.
- Treat Hair Breakage & Split Ends
The researches show that cinnamon levels up hair length and density. It slowly ensures the prevention of split ends as well.
Natural Measures To Make Oil For Hair
Cinnamon oil is taken out from the barks of cinnamon and the same is integrated with a base oil for its formation. The magic of oil lowers hair issues and helps with skin inflammation and stress, as well. Below is the process to make oil for the hair.
1. Heat Measure
- 250 g of cinnamon powder
- One liter of olive oil
- Make sure to keep the ratio of olive oil and cinnamon powder 4:1
- Take some olive oil and heat in a pan
- After the oil is heated, add the cinnamon powder.
- Keep the heat on and blend the mixture
- Let the blend simmer for 5 minutes
- After the cinnamon smell is strong, turn off the heat.
- Let the blend cool as the room temperature
- Now, make sure to strain the blend in a simple strainer
- Store the oil in an airtight container
Note: Do not heat the olive oil again and do not use it more than the requirement. Cinnamon oil can also be made without the usage of heat.
2. Without Heat Measure
- A bundle of sticks of cinnamon
- One liter of cinnamon oil
- A mason jar
- A cheesecloth
- Keep the bundle of cinnamon sticks in the mason jar.
- Make sure to fit them in the jar completely as possible
- Pour the olive oil into the jar. Mix the oil properly in the jar so that all the cinnamon sticks are wrapped in the oil
- Keep the jar sealed and airtight
- Keep the jar near the window beneath the sun. Let it be placed for 3 weeks.
- Shake the jar properly every day, one time. The same is done for ensuring that the oil is mixed with the sticks and brings out the essence.
- In 3 weeks, the oil needs to be strained from the jar with the help of a cheesecloth
- Keep the blend in an airtight container
Cinnamon & Hair Masks
1. Olive Oil, Honey, & Cinnamon
This triplet pair can do wonders. Cinnamon in a mixture with olive oil and honey lowers hair fall. Olive oil has the presence of tocopherol, carotenoids, monosaturated fatty acids, and triglycerides which are benefits for hair in terms of hydration. Also, it is filled with squalene which owns antioxidant properties for the prevention of hair damage from UV rays.
As per the research, olive oil strengthens hair fibers and protects from hair breakage. Honey is a magical emollient as it has anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties. It relaxes inflammation, scalp dermatitis, and psoriasis, and removes dandruff. The same balances the scalp pH levels, too.
Ingredients To Create
- 1 tsp of cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp of honey
- 4 tsp of olive oil
- Heat the olive oil for warming
- Add honey and cinnamon powder to create a paste
- Apply the mixture to the hair and keep it for 15 minutes
- Wash the same with water
- Make sure to apply once in a while, every week
2. Cinnamon & Turmeric
Turmeric oil is a famous antiseptic that is used to cure boils and wounds. As per a study, coconut oil, and turmeric lower dandruff. It also helps in the treatment of hair graying.
Ingredients To Create
- 1 tsp of turmeric powder
- 1 tsp of cinnamon powder
- 2-3 tsp of coconut oil or olive oil
- Heat the coconut or olive oil for warming it
- Create a mixture of turmeric and cinnamon powder
- Apply the mixture on the scalp and hair properly
- Let it stay for 15-20 minutes
- Wash off the mixture with warm water and shampoo to remove the turmeric properly
- Feel free to apply it once a week.
3. Cinnamon & Coconut Amalgamation
Coconut oil is a miraculous hair care remedy. According to the research, coconut oil ensures healthy penetration of hair fibers for nourishment from within and lowers the loss of protein. It secures the hair from free radical damage caused by UV rays. Coconut oil has proteins that give nourishment and repair to spoiled hair. The oil secures any kind of damage from hygral fatigue. It removes dandruff and does prevention from head lice.
Ingredients To Create
- 4 tsp of coconut oil
- 3-5 drops of cinnamon essential oil
Note: You can even use cinnamon ground oil as an alternative to cinnamon essential oil
- Heat the coconut oil in a utensil for warming
- Add in the cinnamon oil and mix it properly
- Apply the mixture to the hair and scalp
- It should be applied on the tips and roots, properly.
- Let the mask stay for 30 minutes
- Wash off the hair with shampoo and warm water
- You can apply it once a week
4. Cinnamon & Clove Mask
Cinnamon and clove both improvise hair shine and sharpness. Clove has anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, and anti-fungal properties. According to anecdotal pieces of evidence, cloves benefits for hair in the improvement of scalp health. They are also good for bettering blood circulation and stimulating hair growth.
Ingredients To Create
- 1 tsp of cinnamon powder
- I tsp of clove powder
- 2 tsp of honey
- 10 drops of cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp of burdock oil
- Mix in all the required ingredients inside a bowl
- Apply the blend to the hair tips, hair roots
- Do not rub it in the hair
- Let it stay for 30 minutes
- Make sure to wash off the blend with shampoo and warm water
- Feel free to apply it once a week